IIM Indore is celebrating its 18th Annual Convocation on March 29-30, 2017. The Pre-Convocation Ceremony of the Indian Institute of Management Indore (IIM Indore) was held on Wednesday, March 29, 2017. The Convocation is held each year to confer the title of the Fellow of Indian Institute of Management Indore for its Fellow Programme in Management (FPM) participants and diplomas to the successful participants of Post Graduate Programme in Management (PGP), Post Graduate Programme in Management- Mumbai (PGP-Mumbai), Executive Post Graduate Programme in Management (EPGP) and Post Graduate Programme in Management-MX, Mumbai (PGPMX, Mumbai). This year, the Second Batch (2012-17) of Five Year Integrated Programme in Management (IPM) will also be graduating with 100 students.
- FPM is the doctoral programme of IIM Indore. After rigorous course work for two years, FPM participants carry out independent research supervised by a Thesis Advisory Committee and submit theses, which are defended before a Thesis Examination Committee.
- The PGP, a flagship programme of IIM Indore, is a two-year full-time residential Post-Graduate Programme, which is equivalent to the MBA Degree of an Indian University. PGP Mumbai is also a two-year regular Post Graduate Programme on the lines of PGP at IIM Indore.
- The IPM is a five year residential course of IIM for the students who have passed out of class XII/Higher Secondary or equivalent from schools across India. After 3 years of intensive study of foundational disciplines, the IPM students train as managers along with the students of the Institute’s 2-year Post Graduate Programme in Management (PGP), undertaking the same course package in management studies in years 4 and 5.
- EPGP is an intensive one-year residential programme exemplifying the academic rigor and progressive thinking of IIM Indore. Specially designed to enhance knowledge, skills and capabilities essential for managing and leading organizations, the programme combines skill building with explorations of good management practices.
The Pre-Convocation Ceremony was graced by Mr. Rohit Chawla, ED and Head Fixed Income, DBS Bank, India and Mr. Siddharth Sethi, Co-Founder and CEO, InfoBeans Technologies Ltd. as the Guests of Honor.
During the event, certificates were distributed to the coordinators of various students’ councils by the Director. Top scorers of PGP were also presented with the certificates of appreciation.
Scholarships and awards were presented to the following participants by the Guests of Honour:
- State Bank of India Scholarship to Akshat Kumar Bansal.
- Eicher Scholarship to Nishant Sangal.
- Eicher Gold Medal for Best All-Round Performance to Romil Dwivedi.
- K. Alagh Gold Medal for Best All-Round Performance -Woman participant to Sakshi Gupta.
- ICSI Signature Award for Scholastic Performance to Nishant Sangal.
- IIM Indore Scholarship for Outstanding Academic Performance in the 4th Year of Integrated Programme in Management to Govinda Bhadada.
- IPM Gold Medal for Best All-Round Performance- Men to Archit Kothari.
- IPM Gold Medal for Best All-Round Performance- Women to Aishwarya Mangla.
- Shapoorji Pallonji Rising Star Award of Academic Merit for EPGP (2016-17) to Rupak Laskar.
While addressing the gathering, Professor Rishikesha T. Krishnan, Director, IIM Indore said, ‘Institute is now over 20 years old, and we are happy to have our 18th Annual Convocation. We are fortunate to have alumni who have achieved heights in their career and it’s a pleasure having them with us on various occasions.’ He also congratulated all the awardees and the graduating students and wished them for their future endeavors.
This was followed by the address by the first Guest of Honour, Mr. Rohit Chawla. Mr. Chawla began his talk congratulating the graduating students and encouraged them to keep working harder. His talk revolved around his own perspective of the corporate life. ‘There is no single formula one can choose to adapt, because what works for one may not work for another. Our careers have become longer with the long human life, improvement in health facilities and lifestyle changes as well. Hence today we also need to work longer. On one side, our work life is increasing, but the ‘stable business-life’ is significantly reducing’, he said. We now need to learn that nothing is stable, and we need to learn how to learn.
He noted that various sectors like banking, automobile, estate, infrastructure, etc. has a great influence of technology today. Technology will help us move beyond our expertise, as everything would be mechanized. He concluded his talk by saying, ‘Always remember to pick your strength, reach your goals and make your own choices.’
Mr. Siddharth Sethi then addressed the gathering. His talk revolved around the Three Big Ideas which influence our life. ‘The first idea is ‘belief’. It is imp to question why are you doing a particular thing. We all know what we are doing, but we seldom are able to answer why we are doing a particular thing. Finding the answer to this question may at times take a lot of time, but once you realize the motive behind, you will have a belief and people would start believing you’, he said.
Mentioning the second big idea, Mr. Sethi encouraged the students to think big and stay focused. ‘We may take a big challenge and fail; but with such high academic excellence and capabilities, you can always survive; so why think small? Have faith in yourself, and think BIG’, he said.
He concluded his talk noting that only the companies or persons who are able to think ‘beyond’ certain limit, be it family, society, culture, etc. are the ones who are remembered. Hence one should learn from the real world, from the people we live with, from the society we live in and from the country we belong to.
This was followed by a cultural dance performance by Ms. Ragini Makkhar and Naadyog Group.
On March 30, 2017, title/diplomas would be presented to the participants of various academic/executive programmes of IIM Indore. 16 FPM and 3 FPM-Industry participants will receive the title of Fellow of IIM Indore. 449 participants of PGP-Indore and 62 participants of PGP-Mumbai will receive the Post Graduate Diploma in Management. 100 participants of IPM would receive the Five Year Integrated Programme in Management Diploma. 41 participants of EPGP and 21 participants of PGPMX-Mumbai would be receiving the Executive Post Graduate Diploma in Management during the Convocation ceremony.