Before joining IIM Indore, Saravanan worked as an Assistant Professor at the TERI School of Advanced Studies, New Delhi. He was also a Senior Research Fellow at the Rajiv Gandhi School of Intellectual Property Law, Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur where he did his doctoral research on Role of Domestic Courts in the Protection of Foreign Investment through Bilateral Investment Treaties in India.
His broad area of research interests includes International Investment Law, Intellectual Property Law, Environmental Law, and Biotechnology & Legal Regulation.
His work has appeared in peer-reviewed journals, including International Arbitration Law Review, International Journal of Private Law, BRICS Law Journal, Journal of Cleaner Production, and Biotechnology Law Report.
1. Role of Domestic Courts in the Investor-State Dispute Resolution Process in India, SPRINGER NATURE (Manuscript is under review for publication as book)
2. Saravanan A & Shashikala Gurpur Impact of Genetic Engineering on Agriculture,
Biodiversity Conservation and Farmers’ Rights in India’ (LAP ACADEMIC PUBLISHING, 2014)
1. Saravanan et al., Biofuel policy in India: A review of policy barriers in sustainable marketing of biofuel, 193 JOURNAL OF CLEANER PRODUCTION, 734-747 (2018)
2. Saravanan A & SR Subramanian, Transparency and Confidentiality Requirements in
Investment Treaty Arbitration, 5(4) BRICS LAW JOURNAL 114-138 (2018)
3. Saravanan A & SR Subramanian, Role of Domestic Courts in the Investor-State Dispute
Settlement Process: The Case of South Asian BITs, 20(2) INTERNATIONAL ARBITRATION LAW REVIEW 42-54 (2017)
4. Saravanan A, The Biotechnology Regulatory Authority of India Bill, 2013—A Threat to the Safety of India’s Food and Farming, 35 (6) BIOTECHNOLOGY LAW REPORT 269-280 (2017)
5. Saravanan A & SR Subramanian, The Participation of Amicus Curiae in Investment Treaty Arbitration, 5(4) JOURNAL OF CIVIL AND LEGAL SCIENCES 1-6 (2016)
6. S R Subramanian, Saravanan A & Sethu Narayanan, India and the International Biosafety Law: A Critical Legal Appraisal of the Biotechnology Regulatory Authority of India (BRAI) Bill, 2013, 8(2) INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF PRIVATE LAW 99- 118 (2015)
7. Saravanan A et al., First Amongst Equals: Review of the Historical Perspectives of the
Trademark Legislation and Registration, 1(1) MANUPATRA INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY REPORTS 153-158 (2012)
PERSPECTIVES- OPINION EDITORIALS
1. Somesh Dutta & Saravanan A, Investment Disputes Still Haunting India, FINANCIAL
EXPRESS (Dec. 19, 2017) available at
2. Saravanan A & SR Subramanian, Paradigmatic Shifts in Indian Bilateral Investment Treaties, THE INDIAN ECONOMIST (Sept. 6, 2016) available at