1. Details about his Education:
Prof. Utpal Kumar Bhattacharya has received his bachelor of science degree with Mathematics honors from Chandernagore College, Burdwan University, West Bengal. He stood first in the university in Mathematics. He did Master of Science in Mathematics and Doctor of Philosophy in Operations Research from IIT Kharagpur. He was the recipient of national scholarship award in 1986-87. He was the recipient of CSIR fellowship in 1989. He was also selected in GATE 1989, IISC-TIFR JEE in 1989. He has got CSIR research associate fellowship in 1995..
Prof. Utpal has taught in various Post Graduate Programme in Management, Executive Post Graduate Programme in Management since last 26 years. He has extensively taught in various Research Programmes in Management for a long time. He has served as Chairman and Committee Members in various academic and administrative committees at IIM Indore. He has served as panelist in various academic and administrative recruitment boards since last 23 years. He was the faculty mentor for industry interface programme students in 2015-16 & 2017-18, 2018-19 at IIM Indore.
3. Individual Research Experience:
Prof. Utpal has more than 32 years of research experience in Operations Research/Management Science area. He has published various articles in ABDC and high impact factor journals. . Prof. Utpal Kumar Bhattacharya is the author of various articles of high impact factor/a* Elsevier Journals. He is also the recognized reviewer of Elsevier Journal.
4. Overall Administration Experience:
He has served as Chairman and Committee Members in various academic and administrative committees at IIM Indore He was personnel and purchase committee Chairman for two consecutive terms, OM&QT area chairman for four years, academic associative committee chairman for one term. . He was also ex-officio committee members of various other academic and administrative committees. Served as panelist in various academic and administrative recruitment boards since last 23 years.. He was the Chairman, Member of comprehensive examination committee of various research programmes for several years at IIM Indore.
5. Teaching & Research Interests:
His teaching and research interests are in the area of Management Science, Health Care Management Science, Business Economics, Computer Science, Decision Analysis, Logistics Management. Business Analytics.
(1) U.K. Bhattacharya, “ Solving K-Obnoxious Facility Location Problem on a Plane” Accepted for publication in Transportation Management, April 4, 2018
(2) U.K. Bhattacharya, A Mathematical Model for Locating K-obnoxious Facilities on a Plane, International Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 31, No. 3 , 2018.
(3) U.K. Bhattacharya, Teaching Linear Programming, Accepted for Publication in Industrial Engineering Journal, April 3, 2017.
(4) Utpal Kumar Bhattacharya, Comments on Advertising Analytics (7Th November, 2017) has appeared in Optimization Society Digest, INFORMS, Dated 7th November, 2017.
(5) U.K. Bhattacharya, Mathematical Model and Analysis for Management of Nursing Staff, Accepted for presentation in INFORMS Annual Meeting in TN, USA, November13-16, 2016.
(6) U.K. Bhattacharya, Analytics for Manpower Planning in Health Care Services, Accepted for presentation in INFORMS Annual Meeting 2015 to be held in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, During Nov 1-4, 2015.
(7) U.K. Bhattacharya, Teaching Traveling Salesman Problem, Industrial Engineering Journal, Vol. 8 & Issue No. 3, March 2015, Page 10-13.
(8) U.K. Bhattacharya, Advertising Analytics, Shortlisted and accepted for presentation in INFORMS Case and case teaching material competition 2014. The case was presented in INFORMS Annual Meeting held in San Francisco, November 9-12, 2014
(9) U.K. Bhattacharya, OR/MS in Analytics Age and Beyond: A Critical Analysis, Communicated for Publication.
(10) U.K. Bhattacharya, “A center location model with stochastic demand points” Accepted for publication ‘International Journal of Operations and Quantitative Management”.2015,
(11) U.K. Bhattacharya, “A precise note on Obnoxious or undesirable facility location problem”, Industrial Engineering Journal, Vol. VII & Issue No. 8, August 2014.
(12) U.K. Bhattacharya, An Alternative Multi-Objective Planner Formulation of the Multiple Emergency Service Facility Location Problem, IFORS- 13-18 July 2014, Barcelona.
(13) U.K. Bhattacharya, A Multi-objective Formulation of the Center Location Problem on a Plane, Industrial Engineering Journal, Vol. VI & issue no 2, PP 9-12, February 2013.
(14) U.K. Bhattacharya, A New Center Location Model with Stochastic Demand Points, Accepted for presentation in INFORMS annual meeting 2013 to be held in Minneapolis, Minnesota, during October 6th to 9th , 2013.
(15) U.K. Bhattacharya, Algorithms for Locating K-obnoxious Facilities on a Plane, Presented in INFORMS annual meeting 2012 held in Phoenix, Arizona, 14-17 October, 2012.
(16) U.K. Bhattacharya, 2012, Location Models with Stochastic Demand Points, OPSEARCH, Volume 49, Issue 1, Page 62-77.
(17) U. K. Bhattacharya., , 2011., Critical Path Calculations for Bi-objective Imprecise Parameter Project Scheduling Problem Journal of Fuzzy Mathematics" Vol 19, No. 1 pp 27-34.
(18) U.K. Bhattacharya, 2011, A Multi-Objective Obnoxious Facility Location Model on a Plane. American Journal of Operations Research ISSN: 2160-8830 (Print) 2160-8849 (Online), Vol 1 (2), 39-45.
(19) U.K .Bhattacharya, Pranava Tripathy, Shashank Bhansali, Vivek Edlabadkar, 2011, Investor’s Dilemma- Great Eastern Shipping Co. Ltd. Industrial Engineering Journal, Vol II (24).34-40.
(20) U.K. Bhattacharya, 2009, A Chance Constraints Goal Programming Model for the Advertisement Planning Problem, European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, 192, 382-395.
(21) Organizing Committee member & attended, Asia Specific Operations Research Society-2009 Conference held in Jaipur, from December 6-9, 2009.