Joysankar Bhattacharya received his Ph.D. (Economics) in 2010 from the Faculty of Political Economy, University of Siena, Italy. He has held 4-year Fellowship during his Ph.D. granted by DSU (Diritto allo Studio Universitario) and was a Visiting Fellow at the Queen Elizabeth House, Oxford University, U K during 2007-08. Before joining Indian Institute of Management, Indore in July, 2013 he was a faculty member of Economics at Centre for Development Studies, Trivandrum from April, 2010 to March, 2011, an UGC-sponsored Post-Doctoral Fellow in Economics at Institute of Development Studies, Kolkata from April, 2011 to June, 2012 and an Assistant Professor of Economics at the Centre for Economic Studies and Policies, Central University of Bihar from August, 2012 to June, 2013. His teaching interest includes Economic Theory (Microeconomics and Macroeconomics), Development Economics, Institutions and Development and Mathematical Economics. His research has so far focussed on Microeconometric application on various issues of Development.
PUBLICATIONS (Journal Articles)
- Channels of Financial Sector Development and the Inequality widening (narrowing) hypothesis – Evidence from India (with A. Mehta), Journal of Financial Economic Policy 12(4), 593-608, 2020.
- What discriminates the welfare outcomes of children in India: A Multiple Discriminant Analysis in Selected States (with A. Mehta), Theoretical and Applied Economics, Vol. XXVI, 2(619), 261-276, 2019.
- Financial Sector Development and the Poor in Developing countries: Revisiting the Access to Finance Channel (with A. Mehta), Theoretical and Applied Economics, Vol. XXV, 3(616), 153-168, 2018.
- What Works Best for the Poor in Rural India – Poverty-lending Approach or Financial Systems Approach? (with A.Mehta), South Asia Economic Journal, 18(2), 230-245, 2017.
- Channels of Financial Sector Development and Rural-Urban Consumption Inequality in India. (with A.Mehta), International Journal of Social Economics, 44(12), 1973-1987, 2017.
- The role of household-level characteristics in predicting the unbanked in rural India: A comparison of Eastern and Western regions (with A. Mehta), The IUP Journal of Applied Economics, XV (4), 48-73, 2016.
- Confronting Environmental Quality and Societal Aspects: An Environmental Kuznets Curve Analysis for Indian Cities (with A. Sinha), International Journal of Green Economics 10(1), 69-88, 2016.
- Environmental Kuznets Curve estimation for SO2 emission: A case of Indian cities. (with A. Sinha), Ecological Indicators 72, 881-894, 2017.
- Confronting Two Faces of Inequality: A Panel Based Evidence from Indian Cities. (with A. Sinha), The Journal of Developing Areas 50(2), 109-125, 2016.
- Environmental Kuznets Curve estimation for NO2 emission: A case of Indian cities. (with A. Sinha), Ecological Indicators 67, 1-11, 2016.
- Inequality in Per Capita Water Availability: A Theil’s Second Measure Approach. (with A. Sinha), Desalination and Water Treatment, 57(1), 136-144, 2016.
- Is Energy-Led Economic Growth Is Causing Climatic Shift? A Causal Analysis for India (with A.Sinha), International Journal of Green Economics, 8(2), 120-133, 2014.
- Is Economic Liberalization causing Environmental Degradation in India? An Analysis of Interventions (with A.Sinha), Journal of Applied Business and Economics, 16(5), 121-136, 2014.
- Group-participation and Women Empowerment: Matching as an Evaluation Estimator - A District-Level Study in West Bengal, India (with Sarmila Banerjee), Poverty and Public Policy, 6(2), 176-194, 2014.
- Women Empowerment as Multidimensional Capability Enhancement: An Application of Structural Equation Modeling (with Sarmila Banerjee), Poverty and Public Policy,4(3), 79-98, 2012.
PUBLICATIONS (Book Chapters)
- On Assessment of Women Empowerment at Individual Level: An Analytical Exposition (with Sarmila Banerjee and Montu Bose), Development and Sustainability: India in a Global Perspective (edited by S.Banjerjee and A.Chakrabarti), Springer, India ISBN : 978-322-1123, 2013.
- Evolving Feasible Modal Structures for Cost Efficient Pollution Reduction: The Case of Passenger Transport in an Indian Megacity (with Madhumati Dutta ), Imperatives of Sustainability and India’s Development Path (edited by Michael von Hauff and Amitabh Kundu) Metropolis-Verlag, Marburg, Germany ISBN: 978-3-89518-976-0, 2013.
- What Discriminates the Welfare Outcomes of Children in India – A Multiple Discriminant Analysis in Selected States (with A.Mehta),
IIM-Indore Working Paper No.: WP/03/014/ECO, 2014.
- Group-participation and Women Empowerment: Matching as an Evaluation Estimator,
Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia Politica, No. 675, University of Siena, Italy (May, 2013)
- Women Empowerment as Multidimensional Capability Enhancement: An Application of Structural-Equation-Modeling (with Sarmila Banerjee), Occasional Paper 36, Institute of Development Studies, Kolkata (June, 2012).
- Influencing Modal Choice for Pollution Control: Feasibility Costs and Benefits- the case of Indian Megacity Kolkata (with Madhumati Dutta), IEFE working paper, University of Bocconi, No. 17(January, 2009)