Dr. Kajari Mukherjee is Professor in Indian Institute of Management Indore. Her area of research is Organisation Design using the paradigm of Complexity Theory; management in Family Business; and Corporate Social Responsibility in emerging countries. Her various books, journal articles and case studies reflect her wide-ranging research interest.
Before joining academics, she has worked in industry for over two decades. Her experience, in senior positions, spans a wide gamut of industries, both in the public and private sector. She was Head of Department of a software firm for close to five years. She was Principal Consultant in one of the largest consultancy firms in the world. She consults in areas of change management, end-to-end HR process design and corporate social responsibility.
She is M.Sc. (Mathematics), PGDRM (IRMA) and PhD from Tata Institute of Science (TISS). She was one of the twelve senior managers of India selected for Chevening scholarships (UK) in 2004. She was awarded the “Best Teacher” award and several research grants by IIM-Indore.
Latest Research and Publications
- Kajari Mukherjee, 2014. Scale the Peak: Challenges of Growth and Continuity in a not-for-profit organization, South Asian Journal of Management, 21(4), 166-189
- Kajari Mukherjee, 2015, Coopting formal and informal structures: Organization structuring from the perspective of complexity theory, Emergence: Complexity & Organization, 17(3)
- Kajari Mukherjee, 2016, Magic Numbers: Action Research in introducing HR metrics, Action Learning Action Research Journal, 22(1)
- Kajari Mukherjee, 2016, CSR approaches of MNEs in developing countries: Common-sense morality of sending water-tankers to parched neighbours, Journal of Global Responsibility, 7(2)
- Kajari Mukherjee and Rastogi, S.K., 2018. The Challenges of Skill Development in India, Economics & Applied Informatics, 24(1)
- Kajari Mukherjee and Bhatta, N.M.K., 2018, Bridging the Rural-Urban Divide in Developing Countries: SBI Youth for India Model, Journal of International Business and Education, 13
- Kajari Mukherjee, 2018, Free Basics: Fragmenting the Internet or Digital Inclusion, Journal of International Business and Education, 13
- Basu, Shubhabrata, Bishakha Majumdar, Kajari Mukherjee, Surender Munjal, and Chandan Palaksha, 2022, The role of artificial intelligence in HRM: A systematic review and future research direction, Human Resource Management Review, 100893
Cases and Teaching Notes:
- Kajari Mukherjee, 2014, Perna Arts: Managing the Complexity of Creativity and Commerce, Ivey Publishing (Case: 9B14M098)
- Kajari Mukherjee, 2015, NationWide Primary Healthcare Services: Evolving Business Model, Ivey Publishing (Case: 9B15MO12)
- Kajari Mukherjee & Meenakshi Aggarwal-Gupta, 2016, Hubtown (A) – Designing a Bottom-Up approach to Performance Management & Hubtown (B) - Implementing a Bottom-Up approach to Performance Management, Ivey Publishing (Case: 9B16C053/54)
- Kajari Mukherjee, Bhuvaneashwar S, & Michael Rouse, 2017, The Hewlett Packard eHealth Center: Healthcare access through technology convergence, Ivey Publishing (Case: 9B17M101)
- Kajari Mukherjee & Sanjay Goel, 2018, Sandu Pharmaceuticals – Family Dynamics and Succession, Ivey Publishing (Case: 9B19M055)
- Kajari Mukherjee, 2017, Mandated Corporate Social Responsibility (mCSR): Implications in context of Legislation. In International Business Strategy (pp. 415-433). Palgrave Macmillan, London.
- Kajari Mukherjee, Rautiainen, M., Pihkala, T. and Rosa, P., 2019. The Dynamics and Complexity of Family Business Groups. In The Family Business Group Phenomenon (pp. 177-200). Palgrave Macmillan, Cham.
- Timo Pihkala, Goel, S., Rautiainen, M., Mukherjee, K. and Ikävalko, M., 2019. Deciphering Ownership of Family Business Groups. In The Family Business Group Phenomenon (pp. 223-252). Palgrave Macmillan, Cham.
- Kajari Mukherjee, 2014, Organisation as a Designed Entity: Is self organization for everybody?, IIM Indore Working Paper Series
- Kajari Mukherjee, 2016, Mandated CSR (mCSR) in India: Test of CEO Leadership-Implementation challenges of substance over form, WP/01/016/OB & HRM, IIM Indore Working Paper Serie
- Kajari Mukherjee, 2016, CSR approaches of MNEs in developing countries: Common-sense morality of sending water-tankers to parched neighbors, WP/01/016/OB & HRM, IIM Indore Working Paper Series