The field of strategic management deals with, the major intended and emergent initiatives, taken by the general managers on behalf of owners, that involve utilization of some resources to enhance the performance of firms in their external environment. Performance, within the conversation of strategic management, deals with superior returns on investments. Superior returns are measured with respect to the firm’s (i) past performance, (ii) competitors and (iii) benchmark indices. The issue of superior returns is addressed by raising two critical managerial questions namely,
- How and why do some firms outperform others?
- How do they sustain such performance?
The above questions shall be reviewed by invoking the various concepts from the functional disciplines of management and integrating them into a coherent whole. A systemic approach, involving internal and external environmental analysis, identifying opportunities, formulating strategies and executing them, is adopted.
This course also introduces Business Strategy and Competitive Strategy. Specifically, this course deals with corporate strategy, influencers and outcomes of corporate strategy, leadership and corporate governance.
- Appreciate the role of the corporate office in modifying firm scope.
- Analyze a complex situation and identify the key manifested problem and the underlying strategic tension or paradox.
- Study generic business information available and negotiate the ambiguity to identify the aspects relevant to the problem identified.
- Analyze the information and the identify the alternatives available.
- Develop the ability to take a position, and argue the same based on the analysis done.
- Will be able to understand tools and techniques for analyzing the external environment, the industry environment and the internal environment.
- Develops an understanding of the Sustainable Competitive Advantage of the firm
- Develops an understanding and differences in business level (generic) strategies.
- Understand influencers and outcomes of corporate strategy.
- Introduction to Strategic Management Concepts, Vision, Mission, Goals and Objectives
- Strategic Management and Competitive Advantages.
- Environment and the Firm, PEST and Scenario Planning.
- Industry Analysis – Porter’s 5 Forces.
- Applying Porter's Five Forces Analysis.
- Internal Environment Analysis - Core Competencies, Resource Based View
- Competitive analysis
- Competitive Strategies - Cost Leadership
- Competitive Strategies - Differentiation
- Corporate strategy: Going from single business to multi-business firm
- Strategic Decisions
- Exploring options
- Corporate advantage
- Strategic Alliance
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Strategic dissonance and strategy review
- Strategy reformulation
- Perils in strategy implementation
- Innovation strategy / Corporate venturing
- Knowledge management
- Role of leadership in strategy
- Corporate Board's role in strategy
Management Development Programmes (MDP) Office
Indian Institute of Management Indore
Prabandh Shikhar, Rau-Pithampur Road
Indore 453556, Madhya Pradesh, INDIA
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel. : +91-731-2439750, 2439752, 2439753, 24397544
Fax : +91-731-2439800
Executives working in strategic roles in the organisation.
GST, as applicable, will be additional
Prof. Prashant Salwan